Hey :) there are many benefits of the keto diet, a lot of them I can account for from my own experience, and then I’m sure a lot of other lchf/keto blogs can agree too, here are the common benefits:
- Weight loss - The main benefit of keto diets is that it increases the body’s ability to utilize fats for fuel so it’s very ideal for weight loss
- Cancer - Sugar feeds cancer cells causing them to proliferate. Therefore, a diet which eliminates sugar and other carbohydrates may be effective in reducing or fighting cancer. The regular cells found in our bodies are able to use fat for energy, but cancer cells cannot metabolically shift to use fat. Therefore, when cancer cells are starved of sugar they die.
- Pee out fat - If the body has no further use for ketones they can simply be excreted through urine as a waste product. This means that at times your body will be peeing out body fat! (that’s kinda gross)
- Protein sparing - Ketosis has a protein sparing effect, assuming that you are consuming adequate quantities of protein and calories in the first place. Once in ketosis the body actually prefers ketones to glucose. Which means it doesn’t need to burn protein to get glucose through that process called glucoge-something that is extremely long.
- Decrease in hunger - Due to the increased fat consumption (which are also mostly foods high in protein aswell), you can experience a decrease in appetite - I personally don’t get hungry frequently when I’m on keto and don’t have the urge to snack, which suits me perfectly because I prefer to have 3 big meals rather than lots of small ones.
- Cholesterol - Apparently it increases levels of HDL cholesterol (the ‘good’ kind) and helps to manage levels of LDL (the naughty one)
- Disorders and conditions - It is not only used as a healthy lifestyle, it is also used for conditions such as infantile spasms, epilepsy, autism, brain tumors, Alzheimer’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease, depression, stroke, head trauma, Parkinson’s disease, migraine, sleep disorders, schizophrenia, anxiety, ADHD, irritability, polycystic ovarian disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux, obesity, cardiovascular disease, acne, type 2 diabetes, tremors, respiratory failure and virtually every neurological problem but also cancer, and conditions where tissues need to recover after a loss of oxygen.
- Energy - More energy (the brain fog/fatigue you feel at the beginning fades and then you feel super energetic)
- Beauty - You secrete more oil via your pores on a keto diet, which makes your skin healthier, and your hair is bomb too!
- MA LEEEEGSSS OOOOH DA PAIN - Decrease in joint pain and other aches
Obviously this way of life is not for everyone, and it’s just important to find out what works for you and YOUR body. There is no standard way you have to eat because everyone is different and is affected differently by what they eat! I eat this way because my body does not react well to a high carb intake for a prolonged period of time. Just do you, dude.
I hope this was helpful!